Friday, December 08, 2006

"Each time a bell rings, an angel gets his wings"

The title of this blog entry is from the all time classic Christmas movie, It's a Wonderful Life. In the case of my loom knitted angel, a bell became an angel. One of the challenges of loom knitting is creating multi-dimensional shapes on what is basically fixed pegs. Belle, my little angel ornament, is the result of an experiment in overcoming the shaping restrictions on looms. Her skirt, which is based on my Knifty Christmas Bells pattern, is very full and flared at the bottom, but tapers gradually to the waist without bulky gathers. With the exception of her halo & wings, this little 3 inch Christmas tree ornament is made entirely on the pink Knifty Knitter spool loom using white worsted weight yarn. She is made in three pieces: the bell-shaped skirt, and two 4½ inch lengths of I-cord which form the head/body and arms. The skirt is knitted on the 6-peg end of the spool loom using two strands held as one. The I-cord is knitted on the 5-peg end of the spool loom using one strand of the same yarn. All 5 pegs were used when creating the I-cord for the head/body section, but only 3-pegs were used for the I-cord arms. After the three main pieces are joined to form the angel, a small piece of silver pipe cleaner is shaped into a halo and attached to her head. Finally, Belle "gets her wings," which were made from 2½ inch wide sheer wired wedding ribbon. The 3½ inch piece of wired ribbon is pinched together in the middle and tied to her back using the gathering yarn from her waist. This is a very general description of how Belle is made. I am putting the finishing touches on the pattern and will be adding it to my Pattern Box on the right side bar over the weekend.

Also, I have completed several other Christmas tree ornaments: mini & micro stockings, candy canes, I-cord wreaths, and a mini snowman, but I just had to post an entry for Belle first. I am currently working on a loomed snowflake, poinsettia and a large angel made on the blue Knifty Knitter which can be used either as a tree topper or a decorative centerpiece. In addition to the little stuff, I have two large Christmas stockings waiting to have names embroidered on them and several Christmas hats in the works. So much to do, so little time.